A Preliminary Roost Assessment was undertaken for this demolish and re-build project in North Derbyshire.
The site was a bungalow. There was no loft, but there was an eaves space, which had been exposed during initial clearance works.
The roof tiles were significantly damaged; mostly through weathering causing crumbling. Although there are many apparent gaps under tiles, by taking my time with binoculars, ladder and a high powered torch I was able to confirm that the the vast majority of the apparent gaps were actually are filled by the remaining tile head. I often find that gaps in tiles which initially looks like a potential access point for bats are in fact blocked off like this when they are examined carefully. There was another section where it looked like the tile-edge had a cavity below, but when I got up on my ladder I found the tiles were sitting on black painted timber.
By spending some extra time on site, I was able to confidently state that there are no bat roosts at the property. My report was submitted and has been accepted by the consultee (Derbyshire Wildlife Trust).